- Newton’s Three Laws and me-
Here is an example of the type of physics I can easilly grasp. ;0) Although when you think about the first one, it is just a matter of perspective. An object at rest will remain at rest until a force is placed on it. When looking at it sub-atomically, nothing is ever at rest, particles are always moving and changing form. The second law, is exactly the reason I love to partner dance! The acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on it and inversely its mass. Being a 99lb female and dancing with men whose mass are significantly more than mine, I get thrown high in the air, swung around and really end up feeling like I'm flying more than dancing. The third, I try to avoid at all costs. It is what makes the constant commuting around the Bay Area frightening. We have designed death traps for ourselves by zooming around in large objects and fast speeds, tempting fate at all times.
- Our “Energy Efficient” Culture
I find that statement interesting. I don't find our culture energy efficient in the slightest. Even with in the organic/local movement, I find such hypocracy. I am guily of it myself. We use too many plastic containers for the convienence of food to go, paper grocery bags instead of plastic even though they are made out of trees, most people are too lazy to bring their own, and organize our communities in a way that makes driving a necessity. We are slowly becoming aware of the ways our culture needs to change, but I fear it is too little too late.
- Descartes has a lot to answer for!
Descartes illustrated that which most human minds want to believe. It is comforting to most to believe in a world that is ordered and reductionist. In such a world, everything makes sense. Most human minds do not do well with mystery.
No comments:
Post a Comment