- What do you think about the "eight-point Deep Ecology Platform?
I think it makes perfect logical sense for our well being as a planet and a people. Unfortunately, getting people to live that way would be idealistic at best. I wish we could make such drastic changes in the way that people on the planet view life and their responsibilty to help maintain its balance. Wouldn't it be amazing if it became a new mandate?
- Can you explain whyt "Ecosystems are both strong and fragile"?
Ecosystems inherantly are stong since they are made up of parts that work in harmony with each other to create the whole. Unfortunately this also means that when one part of the system's balance is upset, the entire ecosystem suffers and undergoes changes, sometimes irreversible ones.
- How would you asess the "end goals" of Social Ecology?
I don't really know what the "end goal" in this case means. I think that if it is the analization of social institutions and their relationship to nature and its resources then the goal should be do live in a more harmonious way with nature and to create social structures that support practices that are sustainable for humans and the earth. We are far from this as a culture, but I am somewhat hopeful that we are slowly movng towards this both out of necessicity and curiousity.
I was a little unclear of what the end goal was too. I think that this is much of the problem. We need to make things clearer for people or more personal to the individuals life.
ReplyDeleteIt would be very cool if the Eight-Point Deep Ecology Platform became a new mandate. It would be nice if they created sub-lists of ways to accomplish such goals - with small steps, ideals become much more tangible, more attainable. Thanks for sharing! : )
ReplyDelete