1. I definitely don't believe that DNA should be patented. I understand that Myriad Genetics has invested a lot of money in their research, but my hope would be that their research could be used by fellow scientists to continue to fight breast and ovarian cancer. Where would we be if TCM practitioners from long ago patented their herbal formulas and knowledge? The fight against patenting body parts aside, scientific research should be able to be continuously built upon for the health and longevity of the human race and the earth. To patent that would be selfish.
2. I do think that the evidence of acupuncture helping reproductive health would be an advance for TCM. It is bringing TCM into the western spotlight which will continue to help it gain clout in the western medical model. This is good for the careers of TCM practitioners, but may have some negative implications if the science gets picked apart and separated too much. I hope that is not the case. As people reach for TCM to help with reproductive health and have positive results, they may continue to use it as a viable medicine and may continue to make positive health and lifestyle changes. Maybe I am too hopeful, but that is what I would like to see.
I would also like to see TCM gain power in the West. We will be able to help so many more people, that is unless, like you say, biomedical "science picks apart and separates" TCM to fit its own model.
ReplyDelete