Monday, May 13, 2013

biology week one

1. I am a 33 year old Sports and Occupational Injury Rehab Therapist.  I work with a technique called NeuroKinetic Therapy.  I also do Nutritional Counseling, Herbalism, and Yoga Therapy.  I love what I do and am always looking for ways to make what I do more effective.  The only downside is that it is extremely physical and therefore can be really taxing.  I love to travel, hike, bike, climb, dance, garden, and play.  I keep a really active life and usually don't know how to slow down, although as I get older my adrenals are telling me to.     

2. Week one's class discussion was on the ways in which we are destroying and bettering our biological world.  It is quite a sad topic since even in the ways that we are trying to improve the future of our planet and ourselves, as a culture, we are a bit short sighted.  I don't think enough thought is put in to the longevity of solar panels or what will happen to the wildlife around a large solar field, not to mention what to do with the disposal of solar batteries.  I fear that the future of such large alternative energy projects might end up like the bees and neonicitinoids.  At once that seemed like a good idea as well until the cumulative effect was seen on the bees.  The article about growing a kidney in a test tube also brings up the question as to whether the fact that a kidney can be grown might make someone take less care with the organs they are born with.  I have seen this to be true with my father who keeps wearing out body parts and getting them replaced, hips, discs, etc.     

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm....we seam to have a lot in common. I love helping people overcome injury to pursue what they love and my adrenals are complaining. I also agree with your thoughts on solar. Most of the solutions I see are profit/industry driven rather than driven by intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is tough to slow down when life is so interesting, although the adrenals do make a compelling case eventually!

    ReplyDelete